While the low-carb diet causes natural weight loss & disease prevention, the Standard American Diet (SAD) is often touted as the cause of obesity, diabetes & a host of other diseases.
The Standard American Diet prescribes a low fat diet which usually consists of rapidly absorbed foods high in carbohydrate which increase the risk of weight gain, diabetes as well as heart disease.
A low-carb, high fat diet however, encourages natural weight loss and helps you avoid disease and improve your health.
Whilst the Standard American Diet is based on a diet high in carbohydrate, sugars & grains leading to carbohydrate dependency, the low-carb diet reduces insulin production & blood sugar levels thereby stimulating the body’s natural fat burning process.
Here are the reasons a low-carb, high fat diet will help you burn fat and lose weight naturally
- Exercise and/or portion control is ineffective for weight loss – it’s your hunger that needs to be controlled which is what a low-carb Paleo or Banting (Tim Noakes) diet will do for you.
- By limiting your carbohydrate consumption you will reduce your body’s insulin production which will activate your body’s natural fat burning mechanism.
- The Paleo way of eating allows you to escape your sugar dependency without any loss of energy – in fact by eating wholesome, nutrient dense foods you’ll always feel energised & healthy.
- For accelerated weight loss, intermittent fasting can be introduced into your low-carb diet – for example you could wait until you’re hungry before automatically having breakfast in the morning which will maximise your appreciation for food and help you become more fat adapted.
- A high-carb, grain fuelled diet is a poor quality source of energy that is quickly converted to glucose offering little nutritional value whereas low-carb Paleo foods are easily absorbed for optimal body performance without messing with your blood sugar levels.
- Basing your diet on low-carb, high fat meals allows your eating patterns to be determined by pleasure or hunger for maximum nutritional benefit.
- A low-carb eating plan controls your hunger without the cravings unlike sugar rich meals which always leave you wanting more.
- Athletes are discovering the power of low-carb diets combined with healthy fats which provides them with a more efficient energy source than the traditional high-carb energy drinks & gels – being fat adapted also allows the body to “burn cleaner” contrary to burning glucose which causes inflammation & oxidative stress.
- A low-carb, high fat diet is a far better source for your body’s energy requirements than the traditional high-carb, low fat diet as it lowers your insulin levels which allows more fat to be released and burned for energy – in fact the LCHF diet could have a massively positive effect on the global obesity epidemic.
- Carbohydrates cause insulin issues leading to weight gain & diabetes whilst a low-carb diet enables natural weight loss and allows you to achieve your ideal body composition irrespective of genetics or obesity in the family.
More On Carbohydrates & Weight Loss
- According to The Nutrition Source (Harvard) a low-carb diet can help people lose weight more quickly than a low fat diet and be able to maintain that weigh loss.
- This site also explains how carbohydrate consumption can cause type 2 diabetes by increased insulin production and insulin resistance.
- Tim Noakes shot to prominence for the significant weight loss he experienced after going on the low-carb Banting diet which also helped him to reverse his diabetes.
A good place to start your low-carb eating plan is with the popular Banting diet plan that has helped so many people to achieve their weight loss goals.
Start Your Low-Carb Diet With This 7 Day Banting Meal Plan »