Most of us who have any knowledge of the Tim Noakes diet will know that he advocates a low-carb, high fat diet however it is useful to know exactly what foods are actually on his red list & to be avoided at all costs.
Furthermore, Tim Noakes’ red list contains only foods that are either toxic or high in carbohydrate and those that are non-essential for your health.
In fact those containing large amounts of sugar & fructose as well as other refined carbohydrates are definitely harmful for your health.
Tim Noakes Red List Of Foods To Avoid
This list is not exhaustive but includes the following;
Sugars, Baked Goods & Grains
- Grain based fours
- Grains – wheat, barley, oats (rolled oats are generally fine), rye, quinoa
- Breakfast cereals, muesli & brans
- All confectionery – cakes and sweets
- Beer & cider
- Sodas & fizzy drinks
- Diet drinks
- Fruit juice (high sugar content)
Fats & Oils
- Vegetable oils containing high concentrations of omega 6 fatty acids
- All seed oils (sunflower, canola, grapeseed, corn etc)
- Sauces (eg, tomato) & salad dressings & mayonnaise
- Hydrogenated oils found in margarine & vegetable oils
- Grain-fed meat, factory farmed meat (grass-fed is preferable)
- All processed meats
- All fast food
- All processed food & refined food products
- Foods with added sugar
- So called “Fat Free”products as they usually contain high amounts of sugar
- Puddings, ice cream, coffee creamers
- Soy milk, rice milk, condensed milk
- Dried fruit, bananas (high sugar content)
Vegetables High In Carbohydrate (Starch)
- White potatoes (sweet potatoes are preferable)
- Peanuts (they are legumes and not actually nuts)
If you experience similar improvements in body weight & health that Tim Noakes did by avoiding the foods contained in the red list above you could be feeling healthier & slimmer just by making a committing to some simple dietary changes.
For those who suffer with allergies you will be interested to hear that by cutting out grains & gluten could ease your allergies…
Regarding allergies, Tim Noakes says: “It is also clear that allergies to grains and cereals are more common than realised and I wonder if some of the benefit I have derived might not be due to removal of some undetected allergens in cereals or grains…”
Some “Green List” Foods
Some of the foods you should be eating & which appear on Noakes’ green list include the following;
- Eggs (free range)
- Fish (contains essential Omega-3 oils)
- Meat (organic or grass-fed beef as well as biltong, game or ostrich)
- Dairy Produce (organic, from grass-fed cows)
- Vegetables (green, leafy vegetables as well as broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, avocado (healthy fats) etc.
- Nuts (including macadamias, walnuts & almonds but not peanuts or cashews)
PS. Losing Weight Is More About Hunger Control Than Portion Control
This means that eating foods from the Tim Noakes green list of foods, and avoiding foods on the red list (above), will allow you to eat as much as you like with little danger of over eating without having to reduce the size of your portions as you would be inclined to do on a normal “weigh loss diet”.
The reason for this is that real LCHF Banting/Paleo foods & meals are non-addictive and will leave you feeling satisfied without wanting more or still feeling hungry.
Eating foods that leave you satiated is exactly what helps you control your hunger naturally and is also exactly what Prof Tim Noakes keeps on saying about eating low-carb, wholesome foods – they are non-addictive and will increasingly make you look & feel better.
Transform the way you look & feel just by eating a natural, nutrient rich diet…
…get started on your healthy low-carb diet today with this fantastic collection of LCHF Paleo recipes here »