Banting Diet For Diabetics
The Tim Noakes diabetes diet may not be for everyone, however this way of eating is the diet he credits for reversing his diabetes (Diabetes mellitus type 2).
In fact after converting to this Banting diet for diabetics (LCHF) he has not only lost a significant amount of weight & feels more energetic, he doesn’t have to depend on his diabetic medication any longer.
According to him, the so called Tim Noakes diabetes diet is most effective for people with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes or those who are pre-diabetec like he was.
A healthy & compelling “by product” of the diet is that it helps reduce weight & treat obesity naturally without having to count calories.
If you have weight or blood sugar issues consider them warning signs of this dreadful disease…
Obese people are high risk candidates for type 2 diabetes & are highly likely to become full blown diabetics so the sooner they get on this sort of diet the sooner they will be able to start controlling their blood sugar & begin reversing their diabetes.
An Example Of This Low-Carb, Tim Noakes Diabetes Diet
Disclaimer: This diabetic diet may not be for everyone who has issues with diabetes or their weight. You are advised to get your dietician or medical practitioner to examine you & prescribe an eating plan for your particular condition and/or circumstances.
One of the keys to the diet that Tim Noakes had so much success with in helping him manage his blood sugar & avoid diabetes is that it was strictly low-carb (if not totally carb-free at times which may not suit everyone).
What exactly does low-carb mean?
Well low-carb means absolutely none of the following (no exceptions if you want to beat your diabetes);
- fast foods
- sauces (eg. tomato sauce)
- baked goods
- all processed foods
- anything containing sugar and, of course, sugar itself.
This list is by no means exhaustive but gives you an idea of what foods you have to avoid if you want to control your blood sugar & start reversing your diabetes.
I can hear you saying but I can’t go without bread or potatoes but you need to be disciplined & committed to eating this type of diabetes diet that Tim Noakes had so much success with.
If your commitment starts fading just remember that sticking resolutely to it will help you in the end just as it did for him.
Good Carbs that you can eat in moderation….
- Vegetables (organic is best)
- Sweet potatoes (not regular potatoes)
- Pumpkin (Butternut has a higher sugar content)
- Fruit (although Noakes avoids all fruit except apples occasionally as the sugar content in fruit is high)
- Noakes also believes in consuming dairy, including milk, cheese, yogurt (full cream, not fat-free/low-fat as they are often laden with sugars & additives).
- Also be sure to include nutrient-dense foods in your diet – these would include foods such as liver, sardines, broccoli and eggs.
- Don’t restrict yourself from eating healthy fats such as avocados, animal fats, dairy etc.
Go to this link for the Tim Noakes green list of foods for this diet…
More on this healthy diet for diabetics…
- This diet is not a one size fits all type of diet but will be most beneficial to those who have a high degree carbohydrate resistance.
- Those who are carbohydrate resistant (CR) are unable to process glucose (carbohydrate) out of the blood stream and store it in their muscle & liver properly, instead the carbs they ingest are simply stored as fat which causes continual weight gain eventually ending in obesity & diabetes.
- According to Noakes most people suffer with a certain amount of CR and the more carbohydrates they eat the more severe the condition becomes with the likelihood of them become overweight & pre-diabetic prior to suffering with full type 2 diabetes.
- Most overweight people provide a clear indication of eating a high carbohydrate diet, becoming carb resistant until it worsens with them ending up as diabetic.
How Effective Is This Diet For Diabetics?
Tim Noakes is adamant that just one meal on this diet will cause your insulin requirements to be reduced.
This is because not eating carbs shuts down the production of glucose which doesn’t require your system to produce insulin to break down & process the glucose.
Therefore not ingesting carbs gives your body a break from trying to process the glucose which is when the problems occur in people who are CR & IR (Insulin Resistant) leading to weight gain, obesity and diabetes.
A Typical Day’s Meals On This Diet
Tim Noakes suggests, as by way of an example, that a typical day’s meals based on this low-carb diet for diabetics could look like this…
Start by consuming only 50g of carbohydrates a day.
- Breakfast: two eggs with some fish – salmon or sardines & some veg.Include some dairy in the form of cheese or yogurt. This will keep you feeling full & satisfied until lunch.
- Lunch: Salad and some more protein and fat which would include chicken, cheese, nuts, salad, tomatoes, broccoli.
- Supper: The same or similar as lunch
Noakes says that whilst it is an incredibly simple way to eat, you don’t get bored or hungry.
You will feel healthier & more energetic though whilst losing weight at the same time & keeping your blood sugar levels in check.
It should be emphasised that this way of eating isn’t a quick fix that allows you to go back to your old eating habits once you’re feeling better, but it is a way of life – if you don’t adopt it as a way of life you’ll only end up regaining the weight & putting your health in danger.
Who Else Wants To Reverse Their Diabetes?
Sweet Life (Diabetes): http://sweetlifemag.co.za/diabetes-info/